Monday, September 8, 2014

A short description of my life

I was born to Nora B. and Kenneth K. on Sept. 25. I was jaundice and I had to stay in the hospital for 2 weeks after my mother gave birth. Then when I was allowed to go back home. My mother noticed when I slept I would get nose bleeds and my pillow would have blood all around my head.

Then the doctors told my parents that I had internal bleeding from my portal vein to the liver. But, they couldn't do anything for me until I got older. I was about 4 or 5 years old and I started having black tarry bowel movements. And the 1st signs of internal bleeding. Then shortly after I would vomit blood. I was rushed up to Skyline Hospital. Then from there transported via Life Flight to Emanuel Hospital in Portland, OR.

I remember I was in and out of the hospital from about 4 or 5 until I was 9 years old. I have had several close calls. I have gone to Emanuel Hospital more times then a normal young child would.
I remember going by helicopter, ambulance, and a caboose of a freight train. When I had to go down to Vancouver, WA via freight train, was when we had a blizzard in 1980 through the Columbia River Gorge. Both sides of the river were closed, I-84 and HWY 14. So, they loaded me up in Bingen, WA via freight train. We went slow. There was one point in the travel that I had to go to the restroom. Lucky for me the conductor was very nice, and actually stopped the train so, I could go to the bathroom. Once I was situated back into my stretcher, they started the train back up and left.
I slept most of the way there, since loosing all that blood made me tired. We made it to Vancouver, WA alright and there was an ambulance waiting for us there which took us to Emanuel Hospital once more.

I also remember a time where I had to go via Life Flight and I wanted to see the Hood River Bridge while we were flew over it. I remember asking the nurse to tell me when we were over it. I didn't tell her what my plans were. :) So, she told me then I sat up, being rather persistent in the matter, even though the nurse got mad at me. I pretty much begged her to help me sit up a bit. And I was able to see the Hood River Bridge as we were flying over it. I laid back down and went to sleep.

I also remember a time where I was not quite ready to leave. But, I was able to walk around. Back in the 80's the nurses there were pretty lenient on me. The hospital was my play ground pretty much.
Once there was this elevator it's an old one. They called it Oscar. I rode that elevator like it was going out of style. It was an elevator that was not used much, except by hospital personnel.
I would also go see the nurses quite a bit. Go by the nurses station and say hello. Of course this was all when I was feeling better. I remember taking baths in the great big tub that they had. I loved that thing. It seemed so big to me back then. Of course there were the finding a wheel chair and going up and down the halls in that. I have no idea how they let me do all of these things. Although, I think I would sneak out a lot. Me being tied down in a bed for too long made me stir crazy I suppose.

I did however had one time that I just about scared everyone to death. I will be talking more about that in another post.

Although there is one thing that saved my life. I totally am grateful to him. For everything he did for me when I was little. He is Dr. Glen Barclay. He along with a team of Doctors helped save my life. And for that I am so grateful to him.
 
Above: Erin and Dr. Glen Barclay abt. 1983
 
Below: Erin with her favorite nurse. Nurse Elaine. Abt. 1983
 




No comments: